In 2007, Martin and Gerda Essl established the Essl Social Prize, to support social innovation and social entrepreneurship worldwide. The first prize was awarded on March 14, 2008.
The Essl Social Prize is awarded to elected persons, which have already achieved outstanding social improvements, and is connected to the implementation of social innovation. In this context, every year efficient, path-breaking projects – which are in need to be supported – are promoted with a donation of one million Euro and implemented as a role model.
Criteria of the nomination of the Essl Social Prize
- The Laureate: experienced Social Entrepreneur
- The Project: Social innovation that is evolving or extending her/his good work
- Role Model, scalable and/or reproducible
- Enabling and empowering
- Worldwide, no regional preferences
- To the immediate good of persons in need (requirement of Austrian tax law)
- Optional: Non-financial involvement of Essl Foundation and/or bauMax-Group and its employees in the project
Selection and awarding of the Essl Social Prize
The selection and awarding of the price is operated according to a special selection process. The task of the nomination committee and its members is to find and nominate outstanding social entrepreneurs and projects. The task of the selection committee is to select one of the nominated social enterprises and their projects.
Applications to the Essl Social Prize
Nomination to the Essl Social Prize can only be effected by members of the nomination committee. Direct applications are not possible.